Food changes.

I need to do a eating update....
For myself more than anything.
I'm doing well, I had ZERO energy for a while, it really sucked and I REALLY wanted to give up, but even with my dearest husband eating my favorite burger (the Jack Daniele's from TGIF) right in front of me I held strong. I held strong through birthday cake and peanut butter popcorn, 'puppy chow' and frozen yogurt, ice cream and pancakes. Now I'm ready for some changes. I've shown myself that I can do it. I can say 'no' to junk foods, and live to blog about it. I DON'T think though, that a vegan diet is the healthiest diet, I have known that from the beginning yet I still think I needed the extreme to get me to where I am today.

Let's just start in the morning, shall we? My vegan friendly breakfasts have SUCKED!  I tried making oatmeal, and couldn't choke down one spoon full without adding TONS of sugar, and that's not any better for me. I tried a vegan friendly pancake recipe that look quite promising, but the texture was so wet and gross even drowning it in syrup didn't help. We all gave the garbage can a good workout that morning. In the end I've resorted to toast with peanut butter and honey every morning. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy this breakfast, but we all know why I enjoy it right? Yeah, the honey....sugar. I would feel like I had a much healthier diet if I went back to eggs for breakfast, but with spinach in place of the cheese.

Lunch, I've been eating a simple salad, with french dressing. No cheese, no croutons. I think I'll keep this up.

Dinner has been interesting, it's worked out that I end up making a normal meal for everyone else then eat rice, beans, and / or salad for myself. It's not too bad. I really don't like cooking with fake butter though, or with soy milk in place of normal milk. My other change is to dump the fake stuff for cooking with. I do enjoy almond milk (normal NOT vanilla) so I'll keep that up for just drinking, but I'm not going to cook with it or soy milk. I want my ingredients to be more natural.

So, I'm easing up on a couple rules here and there, but I need to remember that it's still black and white with no grey areas. This doesn't give me a loop hole for cookies, cake, ice cream, quesadillas, grilled cheese, or anything else I might try to sneak in.

So that's where I'm at. I'm excited to have EGGS for breakfast tomorrow! I would have done it today, but I would have felt guilty if I did it before I typed it out and made it official....silly.

*I'll need to change my button from 'my vegan adventure' to something else..... 'learing how to eat'? I'll need to come up with something a little more fun.

Comments

Popular Posts