The ultimate minimalist

Ever since having Coralee, and living off just one income, we have slowly been moving toward a minimalist lifestyle. We're far from hardcore minimalist, but if you were to show me two homes, one full of toys, gadgets and 'stuff' while the other was simple with just essentials, I would want the one with less, just the sight of all the junk would stress me out. We're in the midst of a house hunt and I get frustrated when I can't enter a MAX number for square footage. I'm convinced that no matter what size space you're in, you will fill it. We need one more bedroom, a bigger kitchen and a garage. That's it. I don't want any more, or we'll start accumulating junk to fill it.  

So last night I was thinking , and feeling frustrated at how materialistic so many Christians are. How so much money is put into appearances and 'keeping up with the Jones'....and so on. It made me wonder, why aren't more Christians minimalists? There is a pretty decent sized 'movement' towards minimalism, but from what I can tell, there aren't many Christians involved. 
Jesus was the ultimate minimalist!
The first thing the deciplies did, was to ditch all that they owned (become minimalist right along side Jesus) and follow Him. So....why aren't we doing the same? I still don't have an answer to this, well, not 'good' answer anyway, just you basic greedy/sinful nature answer. 

So here I am on a mission! Not to become the most extreme minimalist, but the head further in that direction.

My first order business. 
TOYS!
I have a hard time here... I feel like the kids need their toys.
Certainly they do need some toys, especially living in the north, where many winter days are spent inside. They don't however need so many toys. 

Here is our current toy situation

the bed/play room mess
Half of the closet is FULL of toys and books.


In our current little two bedroom house, their room doubles as play room.
I HATE it!
the bed/play room mess
This corner houses their doll house, blocks, hot wheels, and race tracks.

Every evening we clean the room, and every morning by breakfast, it looks like this.
the bed/play room mess
The toy box in that back corner is home to Haakon's BIG things, like tractors, trucks and a spaceship.


One of our biggest problems though?
the bed/play room mess
Stuffed Animals!

Today I let them pick 5 each (boy was I surprised by what they picked), and the rest are out of here!
Five each is plenty generous right? 
I mean really, what kid needs more then 5 stuffed animals?


the bed/play room mess
This is the crew we'll be saying goodbye to!
So long, have a nice life!

Anyone want to join in becoming more like the ultimate minimalist?

Comments

Popular Posts