Misshapen red blood cells

We got the results back about Haakon's blood test.
They're not bad....I think I would say they look good,
but I'm not really happy with the 'final say'.
It's conclusive that Haakon's red blood cells ARE misshapen (not a good thing).
Our pediatrician and a hematologist concluded that
they are NOT misshapen do to kidney or liver problems (GREAT!)
So this leaves us with 'why are they misshapen?'
The Doctors final say is,
"if it's not the liver or kidney, it must be that he is getting too much iron".
This is the part I don't like, and for two reasons.
A: Just on Monday we were told Haakon's iron levels (he has been on iron drops for a few months because he was very anemic at his 12 month check up) were back up to the LOW end of normal.
B: I can't find one single thing online showing me any kind of connection between iron overload and misshapen red blood cells.
It just doesn't seem to add up.
My plan for now is to try not to worry (easier said than done),
wait two weeks until he goes back in.
If things still don't look right, if I don't feel like it's adding up,
I guess I'll go look for a second opinion.
And to top my morning off, I noticed a rash on his forearms while cleaning him up after lunch!
UG!
Honestly, it looks like a 'nothing to worry about' rash, that will be gone by bed time, but everything about this boy is starting to make me worry.
"Misshapen red blood cells" just scares the crap outta me!
Please pray this all goes away SOON!


Haakon

Comments

  1. The unknown is always scary! I hope it turns out to be nothing! (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking good thoughts for you and your beautiful boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't blame you for being a bit freaked out. I freak out all the time with my kids. It's your job as his mom. Hoping the doctors figure it out quickly!


    P.S. I have wondered this...is yours the Haakon that MckMama once wrote about meeting on her blog, or that pure coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arizona mamma, yes my Haakon is the Haakon mckmama wrote about once upon a time. I've been surprised recently with all the people that remember that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts