Being as great as Mom

Can you live up to YOUR mom?
I guess that depends greatly on who your mom is (I'm not getting too deep for you am I?).
Well my mom was is pretty darn great! She isn't the easiest mom to live up to.
One thing about her that was, and is, is that she always has fresh baked something sitting around the house. Yummy!
She loves to bake and she is darn tootin' good at it.
I've got to say, I learned form the best.
Some day, a while back my mom and I were talking about different things to make, and she says
"ohh, English muffins, those are fun to make!"
Well, I AM my mothers daughter after all, so I know that when she says 'fun'
what she's actually saying is
"ohhh, English muffins, those are difficult complicated and take a long time to make".
"How on earth is difficult and complicated get translated to fun?" I ask her.
Her response made a bigger impact than she knows...
"Oh you know, stuck at home with all the kids (there were 6 of us), there wasn't really anything better to do."
Nothing better to do, like, no Super Why, no Mickey Mouse Club House, no Imagination Movers, no Handy Manny, No Dora, and being that we didn't own a T.V until I was much older, not even any Sesame Street.
Don't you hate it when you have realize something that should be just a natural thought.
I shouldn't have to realize that baking with the kids is a good idea, I mean duh! right?
I actually LOVE to bake! Can you guess where I get that from?
I haven't been baking much lately though, because I can't keep the little ones from 'bugging' me.
"NO CORALEE! DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
"Coralee, get down!"
"NO CORALEE, you can't eat all that sugar!"
"Haakon, I'll be done in an hour, here, play with my phone"
So I've decided to just let it go.
Rather than fight them, work with them.
If the yeast bread turns out flat? That's fine!
Because the point is, I'm stuck at home all week without a car.
There is only so much we can do inside on cold days.
So we can bake for fun, it's ok if it doesn't turn out, as long we have some fun,
and work on our counting,
and letters,
and patients.
Then, just maybe... some day, whatever we decide to make will turn out, and then we'll have
some nice yummy, warm bread for all to enjoy.
So here is to my little sous chefs,
HAPPY BAKING!

Comments

Popular Posts